Alviso Adobe History
The first story of the Alviso Adobe, which is located near the intersection of Piedmont Road and Calaveras Road, was built some time in 1835 by José Maria de Jesus Alviso, who had been granted title to the land on which it stands by the governor of Alta California, José Castro, on September 23, 1835.
Alviso raised cattle on the extensive land and also grew crops. Near the time when Alviso died, in 1853, the second story we still see was built. Later, in 1858, Juana Galindo Alviso, widow of José Maria, married José Urridias, who as manager of the rancho, gradually sold off acreage as needed for cash. Their daughter, Maria de Los Angeles Alviso Sepulveda, inherited the adobe and the land immediately surrounding it.
She and her husband, Bartolo Sepulveda, sold more of the land and eventually the property was acquired by the Cuciz family about 1922. The Cuciz family planted orchards of fruit trees, built a water tank house, a barn (partly constructed of timbers salvaged from three now- vanished adobes that once stood south of the main house), a carriage shed, a drying shed, a power generator, and other improvements. The Cuciz family sold the property to the Calvary Assembly of God Church in the early 1980s. The adobe remained inhabited from the time it was built until it became city property – perhaps the oldest continuously inhabited adobe home in California. The City of Milpitas acquired the adobe in 1996. The house is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
January 6, 2013 by mhs
Alviso Adobe Park Opening: March 16, 2013
On Saturday, March 16, 2013, from 10:00 to 11:30 am, there will be a ceremony for the long-awaited opening of the renewed Alviso Adobe Park. The historic Alviso Adobe, which is located near the intersection of Piedmont and Calaveras Roads, Milpitas, CA, has been undergoing reconstruction, during which the exterior of the main building has been restored and strengthened, the unsafe outbuildings reconstructed to look like the originals, and garden, park, and restroom facilities added.
At the opening ceremonies, there will be a ribbon-cutting and speeches by Milpitas City officials and a dedicatory wall plaque will be unveiled. Five historical signs around the Park explain various aspects of the farming and ranching done by the early owners over the years, including apricot growing and processing, sycamore trees, and other relevant topics.
The City would love to have Historical Society volunteers on hand at the opening, (in vintage costumes if they wish), to give out fliers near the signs with information on the Adobe (which would be provided) and about the Society. Please give our new President, Roger Skuse, a call at (408) 262-0354 to volunteer. Sounds like fun!
Alviso Adobe Park Opened: March 16, 2013
On Saturday, March 16, Mayor Jose Esteves and a distinguished group of city and county officials, including our Society President, Roger Skuse, cut the ribbon marking the opening of the historic Jose Maria Alviso Adobe Park. Speakers acknowledged and gave thanks to the wide range of community groups (including the Milpitas Historical Society) that made the restoration of the park possible.
The event was attended by three generations of descendants of the original Alviso and Sepulvida families and of the Cuciz family, who lived and farmed there later.
Milpitas Historical Society members (shown below, left to right: Joe Ehardt, Mabel Mattos, Jim Mattos, Kraig Bunnell, Joanne Sousa, Catherine Pelizzari, Roger Skuse, and Shirley Skuse) wore period costumes and served as docents to provide historical background information to visitors.
April 2, 2013 mhs