Evans Road, which marks the eastern boundary of residential Milpitas in many places, is named for Josiah Evans, one of our early settlers, who owned a ranch that bordered the road.
Evans came to Milpitas in 1853 from Ohio after a few years in the California gold fields, during which time he founded the Butte County city of Evansville. He bought 800 acres of Rancho Tularcitos land in 1853. His ranch was described in 1874 by a reporter for the San Jose Mercury as having fine orchards of fruit and nut trees. The present day road follows the same route as the historic road that served the ranches of the 1860s.
In 1862, his daughter, America Evans, married Samuel Ayer, another Milpitas pioneer rancher, who became a respected long-time county supervisor, for whom the first high school in Milpitas was named. That school (1959- 1980) was located at 1395 E. Calaveras Blvd, the current location of the Milpitas Sports Center.
May 7, 2011 by mhs