Valencia Drive is a pleasant residential street a short way off Pacheco Drive, which comes off Hillview Drive a short distance north of Calaveras Boulevard.
Valencia Drive was named after Frank “Pop” Valencia, (1900-1962), who served Milpitas school children and teachers from 1927 to 1960 as a custodian, baseball coach, and general go-to person for anything that needed to be done, starting in the Milpitas Grammar School (now the Milpitas library building). Mr. Valencia also served on the Milpitas Water Board and played with the Milpitas Acorns baseball team in the early 1930s. (See page 120 in Bob Burrill’s Images of America book on Milpitas.)
In the photo on the left, Frank Valencia is standing in front of the Milpitas Grammar school during his time of working there. In the photo on the right, his son, Dick Valencia, and daughter-in-law, Velma Valencia, stand in front of the street sign, which was installed in 1979.
Sad to say, Velma Valencia (1928-2014), who was a former member of the Milpitas Historical Society, passed away in September, joining Dick, her husband of 55 years. The Society offers our deepest sympathy to her all her family.