Pimentel Circle, one of Milpitas’s newer streets, was named for the family of Manuel and Mary Pimentel, who came to the United States from San Miguel, the largest island in the Azores, in 1906 aboard the SS Cretic (pictured at right).
They landed in Fall River, Massachusetts, took a train across the country to San Francisco, where they were met by relatives, Mary and Manuel Alameda, who brought them to Milpitas, and settled down sharecropping peas and potatoes on the Downing ranch.
Later, in the 1930s, Manuel bought 12-1/2 acres of land on Calaveras Road, across from Air Point School. The family had 11 children: Mary, Angie, Minnie, Joseph, Jess, Rose, Isabel, Margaret, Irene (with Isabel, worked as “Rosie the Riveters” at Hendy Iron Works during WWII), Manuel Jr. (WWII vet and first Milpitas fireman) and Theresa. They lived there until Manuel died in 1947. All these family members grew up to be productive members of the Milpitas community. At right, Joanne Souza, daughter of Joseph Pimentel, points to the sign that honors her family.
September 2017 by mhs